External Reviews of Governance (ERGs)
An external review of governance looks at how well your school’s governing body is working. An external system leader or governance professional works with the governing body, headteacher and clerk to improve the performance of your governing body.
Ofsted will sometimes recommend that a school has a review. In this case, the purpose of the review is to enable a school to move from a rating of ‘requires improvement’ or ‘inadequate’ to at least ‘good’.
The review is designed as support to improve and develop governance, and not as an additional inspection. It will help your governing body identify priorities for improvement, and provide support on what steps to take.
It aims to help your governing body to:
- be more skilled, focused and effective
- be more aware of the freedoms that it has to work in different ways
- be clear in its vision for the school or academy and how, together with the school leadership team, it can achieve this
- be confident that it has a clear delineation of roles and responsibilities
- have the right number of skilled and committed governors to meet the needs of the school or academy
- hold school leaders to account for improving outcomes for all pupils, including those who are disadvantaged
- be clear about how it ensures that its young people are well prepared to be responsible citizens in Britain
For more information regarding what you can expect from a review of governance, click here: what’s involved
An external review of governance will usually take between 2 to 3 days, including a follow-up visit to review impact. The charge for a review will be agreed between the reviewer and the school, however the estimated cost to schools is around £1,000 to £1,500.
To request a review
Reviews can be arranged by contacting a NLG directly using the contact details below:
|Christine Bishemail@example.com||Market Deeping William Hildyard Primary|
|Gail Brown||Lincoln Hartsholme Academy|
|Stephen Hopkins||Hopkins668@btinternet.com||North Hykeham Ling Moor Primary|
|Roger Moorefirstname.lastname@example.org||Stamford Welland Academy|
|Sean Westawayemail@example.com||Gipsey Bridge Academy|